Sylvia Marie Likens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sylvia Marie Likens

This forum is a place to discuss Sylvia Marie Likens and defend her agianst the Baniszewski family members on the old Yuku forum. Yes Sockrates on that forum is Paula's son. They used lies and manipulation to shut our other board down, but we are back.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why After Almost 50 Years?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Why After Almost 50 Years? Empty
PostSubject: Why After Almost 50 Years?   Why After Almost 50 Years? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 12:34 am

Why after almost 50 years despite the attention and reforms to eliminate child abuse is it worse than ever? In 1965 Sylvia's case made national news now it's commonplace to hear about these stories on a daily basis. True some children make it out alive, but then many don't.
Back to top Go down
Kathleen Flynn

PostSubject: Re: Why After Almost 50 Years?   Why After Almost 50 Years? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 9:04 am

Because somehow the attention and reforms focus on the wrong things? I don't know what the right things would be though. It sure is a bloody good question.
Back to top Go down
George_George

PostSubject: Re: Why After Almost 50 Years?   Why After Almost 50 Years? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Hello,
Abuse protection policy is dependent for its efficiency on the family environment. If a person is prone to inflict violence on his/her relatives or anyone in general, no policy will stop them from doing so.
To regulate and eventually eliminate abuse, individuals must be taught tolerance and other positive values in early childhood. It is best if they acquire it inevitably from their parents by mere practice of observation. Thus the success of abuse elimination is dependent on parents and their willingness to live a life without any signs of abuse. Such behaviour can only be acquired in early age. It will not change at any stage of our present-time nor in future if adults with tendency to become easily disturbed or prejudiced over trivial matters in their lives take revenge on innocent people, sadly usually children.
What is the solution? To transcend one´s one prejudice which grows in all of us would be a workable solution. Some people handle it alright, some do not. Unless people distance themselves from everyday trivia, they will not learn to live a better life, a life without an urge to torment other people.

Sadly, Sylvia Likens was one such victim. She was a victim of social prejudice. Gertrude and other perpetrators were escaping the pressure that had built up in their lives and they alleviated it by physically abusing the poor Sylvia. I am sickened at the thought of it. Sylvia must have had a chance to escape, yet she made an attempt only when it was too late. Gertrude´s idea of discipline that escalates with the abused victim´s death is to be condemned. In fact, an idea of discipline should stem from positive values.
However, I think that a principal role in Sylvia´s death was that of Coy, particularly the fact that he hit Sylvia in the head with a broomstick, whereby he crushed Sylvia´s skull and engendered the swelling of her brain. The branding and etching of the sentence on Sylvia´s stomach are the signs of complete disregard for human life. The perpetrators should have never been released from prison on parole or had charges against them dropped, and should have spent their lives in prison. Most of them are dead now, though.
Please respond to my comment if you find anything you would like to delve into more carefully. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why After Almost 50 Years?   Why After Almost 50 Years? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 2:57 am

George_George.

One other thing, although I'm not an expert on the subject,  I think the majority of that family and the people who participated are probably sociopaths which is something that's genetic and inherited.  No amount of punishment, therapy, or anything else will change such people which is why the majority of them should have remain locked up in prison.  Sociopaths also do very well in prison and can adapt.  Being a model prisoner doesn't make them good people or to have changed as others insist.

Poverty can't be blamed in this instance since some of the participants didn't even live in that household and were not deprived.  I don't think society can be either except for the people such and the nurse, teachers, preacher, who failed to check on the well-being of a 16 year old girl with no questions asked. Normal people just don't do the things this family and their friends did no matter what they believe.  It's something out of Rob Zombie horror movie.

The things that Paula and Gertrude and her mother accused Sylvia of were a reflection their own self-hatred. Men used them and abused them, and they took their frustrations out on Sylvia.

I think that Coy Hubbard is definitely one who did the final death blow which caused the hemmoraging in Sylvia's brain.

I appreciate your input and excellent points.
Back to top Go down
George_George

PostSubject: Re: Why After Almost 50 Years?   Why After Almost 50 Years? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 6:09 am

Thanks Katherine (if I may).
I agree with you that the perpetrators were sociopaths, and that they could not be changed due to a genetic code in them. They certainly should have stayed locked in prison for life, however they appealed the court decision and were granted parole.
Sylvia was a victim of a specifically localized social prejudice (Gertrude and Paula's prejudices and feelings of hatred which were rooted in their own failures to establish a sustainable, long-lasting relationship with their significant others). Maybe I exaggerated that the whole society was to be blamed for what had happened to Sylvia. I agree that the people you have mentioned in your post should have made more effort to save Sylvia. Also, Sylvia' s parents should have noticed that something wrong had been happening to Sylvia when they visited her at Gertrude's.
And yes, Hubbard was also an evil thing. Had he not struck Sylvia with a broomstick, things might have taken a different route, she might have even survived, but we will never know.
Let's hope that such crime will not be committed again ever!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why After Almost 50 Years?   Why After Almost 50 Years? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 10:53 pm

George_George wrote:
Thanks Katherine (if I may).
I agree with you that the perpetrators were sociopaths, and that they could not be changed due to a genetic code in them. They certainly should have stayed locked in prison for life, however they appealed the court decision and were granted parole.
Sylvia was a victim of a specifically localized social prejudice (Gertrude and Paula's prejudices and feelings of hatred which were rooted in their own failures to establish a sustainable, long-lasting relationship with their significant others). Maybe I exaggerated that the whole society was to be blamed for what had happened to Sylvia. I agree that the people you have mentioned in your post should have made more effort to save Sylvia. Also, Sylvia' s parents should have noticed that something wrong had been happening to Sylvia when they visited her at Gertrude's.
And yes, Hubbard was also an evil thing. Had he not struck Sylvia with a broomstick, things might have taken a different route, she might have even survived, but we will never know.
Let's hope that such crime will not be committed again ever!

Hi George,

Unfortunately it has many, many times.  Just recently a tortured toddler Scotty McMillan. Like Sylvia, he was tied up, had head trauma, was even beaten with a curtain rod, and put into a bathtub. So brutal like Sylvia's case and many others.  Sometimes, I have to step away it's not good for my psyche or my faith in people or a Supreme Being.

I agree that the Likens were not the best parents and sorely lacking in parental skills to not see something was wrong the several times they visited Sylvia and Jenny.  That house had to be pretty filthy and leaving any kids in Gertrude;s responsibility, a run down tired looking woman who looked 20 years her age, she wouldn't have persuaded most of us she could take care of a dog, much less two teenage girls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why After Almost 50 Years?   Why After Almost 50 Years? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why After Almost 50 Years?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sylvia Marie Likens :: General Forum :: General Forum-
Jump to: