Sylvia Marie Likens

This forum is a place to discuss Sylvia Marie Likens and defend her agianst the Baniszewski family members on the old Yuku forum. Yes Sockrates on that forum is Paula's son. They used lies and manipulation to shut our other board down, but we are back.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Saving Sylvia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
broommy
Admin

PostSubject: Saving Sylvia   Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Lets say Sylvia was saved when the police arrived when she was scraping the shovel. How do you think her life would have turned out?
Back to top Go down
http://forsylvialikensx.forumotion.com
dreamlover

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 pm

If she had survived, I imagine that she would want to be a hope for people. I think she would want to do something to prevent this kind of abuse from happening again.
Back to top Go down
broommy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:42 pm

I have had this discussion a few times, and I am not very optimistic about the outcome. I don't think that the Likens had the resources to get Sylvia the therapy that she would have needed. It is pretty likely that they did not even believe in it. I don't really believe in therapy in most cases. I think that with Sylvia, at this point, therapy would have been the only option for recovery. I don't see Betty and Lester giving up their lifestyle to help Sylvia either.
Back to top Go down
sharon rose black

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Not to mention, in 1965 therapy was still rather...primitive...so to speak. If they had been able to afford it, she might have come out of it worse than she did going into it.
Back to top Go down
mandersdawn

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:38 am

broommy wrote:
I have had this discussion a few times, and I am not very optimistic about the outcome. I don't think that the Likens had the resources to get Sylvia the therapy that she would have needed. It is pretty likely that they did not even believe in it. I don't really believe in therapy in most cases. I think that with Sylvia, at this point, therapy would have been the only option for recovery. I don't see Betty and Lester giving up their lifestyle to help Sylvia either.

This has always been my belief as well. With the emotional and physical trauma inflicted on her, especially the brain injuries and the brandings, I just don't think she would have led a very happy life even if her parents were able to get her the kind of help that was available in 1965. (And I tend to think that if they'd reported the crime to the police they might have been able to receive some assistance in doing so.)

The sad part is that Sylvia almost certainly believed Gert's words when she told her that she could never undress in front of a boy or get married after the branding. She was only sixteen, a very young and insecure age most of the time. We know she was self-conscious about her missing tooth, so how bad would she have felt about the words on her stomach?

As much as I hate to think it, I don't believe this story would have had a better ending unless she was saved long before the coal shovel incident. Too much had been done to her by that point and honestly, the family just doesn't seem to have been close enough to really give her the love and support she would have needed...
Back to top Go down
Ann85

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:52 pm

I really don't like to think of Sylvia surviving in a negative way.
Although I do believe she would have needed a LOT of therapy. A lot of psychological counseling would have helped her to cope with the aftermath of the abuse. She would have needed to have as much support as possible. It's hard telling what her mental state would have been like, especially with all the brain trauma. But if she had been saved before the real damaged happened, then it would have been a better scenario. It really depends on WHEN she would have been saved. The earlier the better, in my opinion. I can't imagine if she had survived the entire ordeal. There was no way she could have, with the damage done physically. So really it depended on a rescue very early.

So I don't like to think so negatively about it. I know Jenny went through a lot through the years, and still lived with the traumatic memories. I would imagine Sylvia would have been stuck with the memories too. I'd like to think that had she been saved before the branding actually, or even afterward, any way to have saved her life, she would have still been a strong woman I imagine. I just hope that whoever she would have married, that he would have shown her the love and support she deserved.

But again, it don't all seem like a doom and gloom situation had Sylvia survived.
Back to top Go down
broommy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Unfortunately, the whole Likens clan, was kind of a bad story after Sylvia died. The Blake's did not come out that well either. I mean they have their own fan club and all, but it seems that Gert and her crew completely demolished two entire families.
Back to top Go down
dreamlover

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:51 pm

broommy wrote:
Unfortunately, the whole Likens clan, was kind of a bad story after Sylvia died.  The Blake's did not come out that well either.  I mean they have their own fan club and all, but it seems that Gert and her crew completely demolished two entire families.    

Yes, they did. And for what? There's absolutely no reason that this should've happened.
Back to top Go down
Jenkins65

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:38 pm

I've always believed that God had a calling on Sylvia's life. If she would of lived I think she had a heart for helping and protecting others. My great grams lived went to a church near there and said it was just awful for the whole area.
Back to top Go down
broommy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Welcome to the board Jenkins65. I would like to believe that Sylvia could have made something of her life, unfortunately, I just don't think she had a support system. Did your great grandmother have any other thoughts on the case? I would love to know how people actually processed the crime.
Back to top Go down
dreamlover

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:30 pm

If only sylvia had known what would happen to her in that house. If she knew, she would've been freed from it because she never would have stayed there. Of course, it's impossible to know the future so she didn't stand a chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saving Sylvia   

Back to top Go down

Saving Sylvia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1